I wanted to add a feature to digitalicebreakers.com that would let the presenter randomly select a member of the audience. I came up with the idea of the audience member’s names floating around the screen and gradually fading out, leaving only the winner.
Initially I thought this would only take me an hour to implement, but a number of edge cases meant I wrote a bit more than I was expecting.
Never-the-less, it’s complete now and includes the following features:
- Audience names appear in random colours and bounce around the screen
- When the presenter selects Pick, the names that weren’t picked are faded out over five seconds, leaving only the winner
- After the five seconds, the audience’s devices update to show a green background and a winning message in the case of a win, and a red background in the case of a loss
- If the audience joins, or leaves, while the game is running, they will appear/disappear on the presenter’s screen immediately.
- The pick is cached on the backend, so if an audience member refreshes their device, it will update with their current pick status
- Refreshing an audience device changes their random cololour on the presenter’s screen
If an audience member’s name is too long, it will appear smaller than other names on the presenter’s screen